Louisiana Genealogy Databases
Free Ancestry.com Databases:
Louisiana Genealogy Databases Searches
The Louisiana Surname List is a genealogy registry of over 1 million surnames each with dates and submittor contact info. Find a distant cousin!
USGenWeb Louisiana Archives
Bible records, biographies, cemeteries, census, church records, court records, deeds, histories, newspapers, obituaries, pensions, photos, vital records, wills and and Special Collections Genealogy Records
Louisiana Surname Helper
Queries and surname registrations from USGenWeb, GenConnect message boards, and other RootsWeb sites.
RootsWeb User-Contributed Marriage Database
Rootsweb user-contributed database of obituaries
Louisiana GenForum Message Boards
Louisiana RootsWeb / Ancestry Message Boards
View or Post Surname Queries. Search user-contributed Bible Records, Biographies, Birth, Marriage & Death Records, Cemetery Records, Census, Deeds, Immigration, Look-ups, Military, Obituaries, Pensions, and Wills
Getting started searching for a Louisiana Ancestor:
- Begin by recording what you know about your family tree. Start with yourself, and enter as much information as you know. You can
build a FREE Family Tree Online You can also find free genealogy software and printable family trees at
Genealogy Freebies to help record your information.
- Vital records — birth, marriage and divorce, and death — are the foundations of genealogical research.
Genealogy records at Ancestry.com can provide additional clues.
- Write to:
Vital Records Registry
Office of Public Health
325 Loyola Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70112
Birth, Death, Marriage: State office has had records since July 1914. Birth records for city of New Orleans are available from 1892. Death records are available since 1942. Older birth, death, and marriage records are available through the Louisiana State Archives
Easy Google Genealogy Searcher puts advanced Google features on one page with suggested keywords and advice for thorough genealogy internet searching.
- Use the
Ancestor Search directory of hundreds of searchable genealogy databases that can help fill in the blanks on your family tree. Be aware that not all genealogy information is available online. If your names are not found in an online database, you may have to do some research offline. Try the
Louisiana Division Of Archives And Records
3851 Essen Lane
Baton Rouge, LA 70809-2137
- If you do not know much about an ancestor, you may need to do additional research on his or her children first. For example:
- If you do not know when your ancestor was married, the birth date of the first child may give you the approximate time frame needed to search for the marriage records.
- If you do not know where your ancestor lived, finding the birthplace of the children may provide a clue.
- Collaborate with other genealogists researching the same families. You can search for them at the Louisiana
Surname List database.
- Military records are an often overlooked source to obtain vital records. Learn how to send away to the National Archives for military service and pension records at
Send to NARA for military records.
- For additional help and detailed instructions for tracing ancestors, go to
Other State Searches:
| New Hampshire
| New Jersey
| New Mexico
| New York
| North Carolina
| North Dakota
| Rhode Island
| South Carolina
| South Dakota
| West Virginia
| All U.S States
| Free at Ancestry.com
It's Easy to Get Started!
Build your family tree
online for FREE! Ancestry.com will use what you enter to find more about your family's ancestors.
Free Ancestry Databases
Free Ancestry.com databases listed by location and popularity.
| Site Features
Genealogy Records Search
Search for your ancestors by record type.
Search by Location
Search for your ancestors by country.
Free genealogy resources: charts, lessons, software, databases, look ups, relationship charts, form letters, translation services.
Ancestry.com Coupons & Deals
Special offers, coupons, coupon codes, discounts, sales & deals
Family Tree Maker 2014 list of improvements
Find your family in the free online databases of digitized original world-wide records.