Many older tombstones list age and date of death. This tool calculates birthdate from the age of death and the date of death on the tombstone, death certificate or obituary. Results are given in a year-month-day format
Birthdate Calculator Tips for Usage -by Kathi Reid
- Calculated dates should only be considered approximate due to possible errors or possible different methodology used in the original calculation (found on the tombstone, obituary or death certificate). Be sure to note in your records that your date was calculated.
- This calculator can use either the exact month method or the 30 day month method to compute a birthdate. While you may think the exact calendar month method may be more reliable, be aware that many of the headstone and obituary ages at death appear to have been computed using the 30-day-month method. (The 30-day-month method assumes that all months have 30 days. It's an approximation which agrees with the exact calendar month method about 2/3 of the time.)
- A tombstone or death certificate is not considered a primary source for a birthday, but it can give you an approximate date of birth to help in further research.
- The calculator could also be used to calculate birth year from census data or birthdate from wedding date and age.
- The calculator allows Julian calendar dates, but you cannot mix Julian and Gregorian dates or ages in the same calculation.
- Because of the change from the Julian to the Gregorian Calendar, the calculator may not work for anyone born between Sept. 2, 1752 and Sept. 14, 1752 (or when days were lost at the calendar changeover.
- Be aware of when the calendar was changed from Julian to Gregorian in the country for which you are performing the calculation. See the change from Julian to Gregorian calendar by country.
- To do this calculation by hand when the online calculator is not available, use the 8870 formula.(the calculator calls this the 30 day month length)
If a person died May 6, 1889 at age 71 years, 7 months and 9 days:
Year, day, month of death (yyyymmdd)
-710709 Subtract age at death (yymmdd)
-8870 Subtract constant 8870
18170927 Born 27 Sept. 1817 (yyyymmdd)
This person was born on September 27, 1817
© Copyright 1997 - 2013 -- All Rights Reserved. These tips may not be copied, published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written permission from the author.
| Free at Ancestry.com
It's Easy to Get Started!
Build your family tree
online for FREE! Ancestry.com will use what you enter to find more about your family's ancestors.
The largest collection of historic records and family trees.
All Access Ancestry.com 14 day free trial. You'll be amazed what you can find!
Free Ancestry Databases
Free Ancestry.com databases listed by location and popularity.
| Site Features
Genealogy Records Search
Search for your ancestors by record type.
Search by Location
Search for your ancestors by country.
Free genealogy resources: charts, lessons, software, databases, look ups, relationship charts, form letters, translation services.
Genealogy Database Free Trials
Free trial to Ancestry.com. Why pay when you can view for free?
Ancestry.com Coupons & Deals
Special offers, coupons, coupon codes, discounts, sales & deals
Family Tree Maker 2012 list of improvements
| Search Help
Find your family in the online databases of digitized original world-wide records.
Learn the unique features of each Social Security Death Index and specific search techniques to use for each.
Search the oldest free genealogy website of transcriptions.
US Phone Book
Find people in the US white pages and reverse directory.
Free People Finder
Step by step guide to help find long lost relatives.