1880 Ancestry Census Records Search
Can't find someone using the search?
Many names are misspelled in the index. It may be incorrect on the original census, the handwriting may have difficult to decipher, or the microfilm may have been too faded to read correctly. Use these hints to expand your search.
- Click on the top tab to try both "exact matches" and "best matches".
- Try a wild card search using an asterisk; i.e. John* in the surname field will bring up Johns, Johnston and Johnson
- Try a wild card search using a question mark; i.e. Johns?n in the surname filed will bring up Johnson and Johnsen
- Search only a particular county or town leaving the name field blank.
- Search only on first names - even wildcarded first names.
- Combine any or all of the above
1880 Census Finding Aids
1880 Census Questions:
Whether white, black, mulatto, Indian or Chinese
Month of birth if born within the year
Relation to head of household
Occupation and months employed
Name of state, territory or country of birth
Ability to read if aged 10 or older
Ability to write if aged 10 or older
Whether sick or temporarily disabled on the day of enumeration and the reason
Search US Census by year
| Free at Ancestry.com
It's Easy to Get Started!
Build your family tree
online for FREE! Ancestry.com will use what you enter to find more about your family's ancestors.
Free Ancestry Databases
Free Ancestry.com databases listed by location and popularity.
| Site Features
Genealogy Records Search
Search for your ancestors by record type.
Search by Location
Search for your ancestors by country.
Free genealogy resources: charts, lessons, software, databases, look ups, relationship charts, form letters, translation services.
Ancestry.com Coupons & Deals
Special offers, coupons, coupon codes, discounts, sales & deals
Family Tree Maker 2014 list of improvements
Find your family in the free online databases of digitized original world-wide records.